St. Botolph's Cathedral, Boston. 1925. Etching. Comstock 32.v. 10 1/2 x 7 1/8 (sheet 11 5/8 x 8 1/16). Edition 76 in this state (total 98 proofs). Illustrated: Salaman, Modern Masters of Etching; Guichard, British Etchers: 1850-1940.A rich impression with plate tone printed on antique laid paper. Diagonal printing fold in the sky; otherwise in excellent condition. 'HG' stamp, lower right. Signed in pencil.
Comstock writes: 'This is the fourth of a series which the artist devoted some of the larger English churches; or, rather, chiefly to their towers, and it is the largest and most important engraving of the four. In some respects it is the most beautiful, especially in the way it reconciles an 'atomosphere'--to a pure linear execution in the portrayal of the rich architecture of a stately building in its home of lowly earth and spacious sky. The work apporaches very closely the soil of England & captures the spirit of locality and history...The Benedictine traditions of the town, which appears to have grown up about a monastery founded, according to the Saxon Chronicle, in 654 by St. Botolph, no doubt partly prompted the artist's inscription: To his dear friend Gregory Ould, Monk of the Order of St. Benedict, in whose music the church rejoices; as also to St. Botolph, illustrious Abbot of the same Order, and of the great and goodly church here depicted the Heavenly Patron, this work is dedicated by the artist with a grateful heart.'
To visit the page on the Allinson Gallery, Inc. website, please click on http://allinsongallery.com/griggs/stbotolph.html