Born in Saxony in 1895, Georg Muche studied painting at the private academy in Munich run by Anton Azbe. Muche was greatly influenced by the Der Blaue Reiter style. In 1915 he was introduced to Herwarth Walden’s Sturm circle in Berlin. In 1917 Muche exhibited his works alongside Paul Klee and Max Ernst. From 1917 to 1920 he taught at the Sturm School with a brief interruption for military service on the Western Front.
In the trenches on war Muche was hit by a shell explosion, leaving him unconscious during the night. As he awoke in the morning he saw a tattered flag with a hand in its’ center. He reached for the hand of Fatima (from the North African Flag) and pulled it towards him as he lay there wounded. Muche later incorporated that hand into many of his works from 1919 to 1921.
In 1919 Muche joined the Bauhaus School as the most junior Master of Forum and from 1921 to 1927 he was in charge of the weaving workshop. In 1923 he helped to organize the first Bauhaus exhibition and later, he became the driving force of the Bauhaus architectural study group, producing the highly original Stalhaus at Dessau-Törten in 1927.
Muche taught with Oskar Schlemmer at the Breslau Academy from 1931 to 1933 and later, he joined Hugo Harings Kunst und Werk for four years. In 1937 two of his prints and thirteen of his paintings were removed from German museums for inclusion in the Degenerate Art Exhibition organized by the Nazis. From 1939 to 1958 Muche taught at the Textile-Engineering School in Krefeld and in 1965 he explored the electromechanical method of printmaking called “Vario- Klischography”. From 1934 until his post-War experimentation, Muche produced only thirty-one prints.