Engraving, monogrammed and dated lower left
Bartsch no. 14; Meder no. 14 a/c; Schoch-Mende-Scherbaum, no. 56, p. 145 a/c;
117 x 72 mm
The Lamentation, dated 1507, is the first engraving, executed after Dürer’s second trip in Italy, for the series The Engraved Passion
Provenance: Colnaghi (their numbering in pencil on the verso: c.30867); private collection, Northern Germany.
Fine, brilliant impression, with velvety tones, of the variant a of c; on paper with fragment of watermark Bull’s head (flower with five petals, Meder 62) typical of the early impressions of The Engraved Passion In fine condition, with thin margins, trimmed to the platemark for a few centimeters at the bottom of left side. Twelfth print of the series. Dürer began work on the Engraved Passion when he returned to Nuremberg from Venice in 1507, ten of the sixteen plates were not completed until 1512. The series is distinguished by a new style, where the fineness and systematic use of engraved line model the forms in terms of light and shade. The prints are marked by an increased working of the plates, where less of the areas are left blank. The overall chiaroscuro effect imbues the scenes with an almost spiritual light. The Engraved Passion is based on an outstanding set of drawings, dated 1504, on paper with a green base heightened with white and black lavis. This set of drawings, called The Green Passion, is preserved at the Albertina.