The Pulitzer Fountain: Evening. c. 1930. Lithograph. 12 3/8 x 9 1/2 (sheet 16 1/8 x 12 1/4). A tonal impression printed on cream-colored wove paper with full margins. Signed in pencil.
The Pulitzer Fountain is located in the Grand Army Plaza at 59th Street and Fifth Avenue, at the entrance to Central Park. When newspaper publisher Joseph Pulitzer died in 1911, he bequeathed $50,000 "for the erection of a fountain like those in the Place de la Concorde, Paris, France." Pulitzer probably got the idea to locate the fountain in Grand Army Plaza from Karl Bitter, the Austrian sculptor, who proposed a symmetrical plaza for this area. After a closed design competition it was not surprising that Bitter (1867-1915) and the architect Thomas Hastings were commissioned to create the fountain. To make the plaza symmetrical, the Sherman monument was moved 16 feet west to its present location.
Bitter's bronze sculpture represents Pomona, the Roman goddess of abundance. Rams' heads with horns of plenty flank the fountain, again emphasizing the theme of wealth and material comfort. During the winter holiday season, lighted trees decorate the basin of the fountain, adding a festive touch to the Park's entrance.
To visit the page on the Allinson Gallery, Inc. website, please click on http://allinsongallery.com/hoover/pulitzer.html