Johannes Molzahn went to school in Weimar and he received his technical training in Berne and Berlin. He moved to Switzerland in 1908, but returned to Germany in 1914. Molzahn had an exhibition at Herwarth Walden’s Der Sturm Gallery in Berlin in 1917. His work from 1917 to 1923 can be described as Cubo-Futuristic as it combined figurative and abstract styles. He used repetitive patterns and geometric forms to emphasize the natural wood striations in his woodcuts. His print technique resembles that of younger artists such as Oscar Schlemmer and Will Baumeister.
Molzahn was active in Weimar after WWI when Walter Gropius asked him to survey the artistic activity in the region. Although he never joined the Bauhaus group, his work was included in the third Bauhaus Portfolio as a result of his association with Walden. Molzahn taught at the Madgeburg School of Applied Arts in 1923 and from 1928 to 1933 he was employed at the Academy of Breslau. His work was included in the Brooklyn Museum’s International Exhibition of Modern Art in 1926.