Born in Nagaevo, Tula Province in 1881, Natalia Sergeevna Goncharova attended the Moscow School of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture from 1901 to 1909, studying in the department of sculpture with S.M. Volnukhin and R.R. Trubetskoi. She learned to paint under the instruction of K.A. Korovin and M.F. Larionov in Moscow before moving to Paris in 1915.
Goncharova was one of the organizers of the first Jack of Diamonds exhibition in 1914 and in later exhibitions including Donkey Tail (1912), Target (1913) and No.4 Futurists, Rayonists, Primitive (1914). She participated in numerous exhibitions, including The Wreath- Stefanos (1907-1908), the Golden Fleece (1908-1910), and those sponsored by the Union of Youth (1910- 1913) and World of Art (1911- 1913).
Goncharova’s work includes variations of Impressionism, Post-Impressionism, Cubism, Fauvism, Futurism and Non-Objectivism. She was well known for her alter scenes and from 1914 to 1929 she worked with S.K. Diaghilev.