Mark di Suvero
Mark di Suvero came with his family to San Francisco in 1941. He attended San Francisco City College for a year (1953-54) and then spent a year at the University of California, Santa Barbara, where he began his work as a sculptor. In 1956 he earned a B.A. in psychology from Berkeley. From 1957 to 1960 di Suvero lived and worked in New York.
The artist's early abstractions- bolted wood timbers and chains- were marked by broad, open gestures related to those that characterize his bold brush drawings. In 1960, however, di Suvero suffered an almost fatal accidental injury. Confined to a wheelchair, he worked on his lap covered by an asbestos apron, making small, welded sculptures that combined steel and wood. By 1965 the artist was mobile again and resumed working at a monumental size with found materials- chairs, tiles, chains, scrap steel, timbers. Many pieces incorporated movable parts to be climbed or ridden. By the early 1970s, however, when di Suvero lived in Europe, his steel constructions, using elements specially fabricated for this function, were somewhat pared down and more austere. Although di-Suvero has worked in printmaking, all of his collborations with Gemini have been on sculpture editions.
In 1960 di Suvero had his first show at the Green Gallery, New York. His museum exhibitions include those at the Stedelijk van Abbemuseum, Eindhoven (1972, in cooperation with the city of Eindhoven, The Netherlands); La Ville de Chalon-sur-Sâone (1972-74, in cooperation with C.r.a.c.a.p./ Centre national de recherche d'animation et de création pour les arts plastiques, Le Creusot, France); the Jardin des Tuileries, Paris (1975); and the Whitney Museum of American Art, New York (1975-76). Among his public commissions are those in Toronto, Canada (1967); Grand Rapids, Michigan (1976); Washington D.C. (1978); and Baltimore, Maryland (1979).