German painter, printmaker and stained glass artist Heinrich Campendonck was born in 1889 in Krefeld. From 1905 to 1909 he attended the Fachschule fur Textilindustrie and the Kunstgewerbeschule in Krefeld. He studied under Johan Thorn Prikker, who showed him the power of line and color and introduced him to the works of Cezanne and Van Gogh.
Campendonck was invited to Sinseldorf in Upper Bavaria by Franz Marc and Vasily Kandinsky in 1911. He explored the subject matter of the mystical portrayal of animals in nature in his first tentative graphic works, published in 1912 in Herwarth Walden’s periodical “Der Sturm”. Campendonck also experimented with styles such as Cubism, Futurism and Orphism. He exhibited with the Expressionist group “Rheinische Expressionisten” before WWI. Campendonck fled the Nazis and settled in Holland where he became a professor at the Academy of Fine Arts.