Thomas Willoughby Nason
Massachusetts born wood engraver, Thomas Nason had little formal art training and did not begin to work on wood until 1921. By the time Nason had his first one-man show in 1933 at Boston’s Goodspeed’s Bookshop, his prints had already been reproduced by “Fifty Prints of the Year” (1926, 1927, 1931 and 1932). The prints received prizes at the Print Club of Philadelphia, the First International Lithograph and Wood Engraving Exhibition, the Art Institute of Chicago, the Northwest Printmakers and the First International Exhibition of Wood Engravings in Warsaw. By 1935, his work was in the collections of the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, the New York Public Library, the Baltimore Museum of Art, the Library of Congress, the Art Institute of Chicago and the Victoria and Albert Museum.
When Nason turned to copper in 1933, admirer John Taylor Arms described him as “master of his burin”. Nason’s detailed pastoral renderings were often used to illustrate books, in particular, those by friend and poet Robert Frost, who shared a common view of the New England countryside. Nason was a member of the National Academy of Design, the National Institute of Arts and Letters and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.