Elena Luksch-Makovsky was born in 1878. She was the daughter of the Russian painter Constantin Makovsky (1839-1915) and became the wife of the sculptor Richard Luksch (1872-1936). She studied first with Repin at the Academy of Saint Petersburg, later in Munich and again in Russia. From 1901 to 1907 she exhibited regularly at the Vienna Secession. In 1907 she settled in Hamburg, devoting herself to decorative and applied arts, including color woodcuts.