Gene Kloss, painter and printmaker, was born in Oakland, California. She studied at the University of California at Berkeley, graduating with honors in art in 1924, and the California School of Fine Arts in San Francisco. With the encouragement of her professor, Perham Nahl, she began etching in 1927. She divided her time between Berkeley and Taos hauling her Sturges press each way until settling permanently in Taos in 1945. During the Depression Kloss was a resident of Taos and made prints for the PWAP and WPA/FAP in New Mexico and, as there was no graphic workshop in New Mexico, she worked in her studio. She maintained memberships in numerous organizations including the Society of American Etchers, Chicago Society of Etchers, California Society of Etchers, Carmel Art Association, Prairie Print Makers, New Mexico Art League and the Philadelphia Watercolor Club. In 1950, Kloss was elected an Associate in the National Academy of Design and to full Academician in 1972. Kloss received numerous honors for her prints which were included in Fine Prints of the Year and 100 Best Prints of the Year. Repositories of her work include the Carnegie Institute, Art Institute of Chicago, Library of Congress, New York Public Library, Smithsonian Institute, San Francisco Museum of Art, Dallas Museum, Oakland Museum and the Museum of Fine Arts, Santa Fe.